Project: Improving FHIR Analytics Using Apache Spark and Cassandra

Summary

During GSoC 2018, we have built the base of the FHIR analytics module , now we can focus on integrating the module to the platform and improve the features of it.

The current Librehelath FHIR analytics module is powered by Apache Spark, Apache Cassandra and Cerner Bunsen modules with Spring framework. This module provides flexibility to analyze FHIR data which stored in the Cassandra Database. The module utilizes the functionality provided by the Cerner Bunsen module with Spark SQL which provides a convenient interface to query FHIR data using different parameters. Even this module allows users to join multiple FHIR resources and find relationships through Spark SQL query language.

Objectives

• Integrate the FHIR analytics module with the platform
  • Upgrading Cerner Bunsen Module to get the latest functionality
  • Integrate with Apache Drill
  • Enhance query interface and incorporate with FHIR query builder

Prerequisites

• Non trivial contribution for Librehealth platform
  • Good understanding of Spring, FHIR, Cassandra and Spark SQL
  • Try out the module functionality

Extra Credit

• Write a paper on the accomplished work during the project

Resources

The repository can be found here .

3 Likes

I would like to work on this project for GSoC’20. Are there any prerequisite tasks for this project and when is the deadline for submission of proposal

1 Like

@prashadi Can you please list some features? Like what is expected.

Stay tuned for more information on what is expected.

1 Like

When is the deadline for proposal

See the GSoC website. I will not answer questions answered by doing basic research.

Sorry, i know the dated in the website but that’s the final deadline right. I know some organisations close proposals earlier than that and even announce the selected students early. i just wanted to know if Libre Health has something like that.

We have no plans to do so.

Thank you , i would also like to know is there any template we need to follow for the proposal. Also what are the specific points that you look for in a proposal.

There’s already a post about this. Read that:

Although the period for sending the proposal starts from 16/3/2020. Is it okay if I send the proposal after a week? Because I think one week’s time is needed to understand the idea and its implementation.

So long as you finalize by the end of the application period, yes.

1 Like

Okay. When will we get further update?

I have updated the project objectives and tasks. Do let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

I have a doubt regarding the Cerner Bunsen modules. What exactly are Cerner Bunsen modules? What are they used for? Especially in this project. I tried to google it but didn’t get much information. Will you please explain that?

You need to do research. This is something you can easily find using a search engine. Show us that you can do basic research, this isn’t doing that.

1 Like

Okay I will do that.

Yes as @r0bby mentioned, if you look at the project repository and it’s dependencies, you can get a idea and google obviously will provide resources.

This year, we’re trying to not repeat last year where we had both of our students fail…so we’re using whether or not you can do basic research to evaluate your skills.

I have posted a ton of helpful posts with resoruces with the README prefix. If you ask and haven’t read those, neither I nor any mentors will answer your questions. Many GSoC questions can be answered by reading the GSoC guides and documentation. We are looking for quality students this year!

3 Likes

Okay. I will do my research thoroughly and won’t let you down.