Regarding the Weekly GSoC student reports

Hey @gsoc2021students,

I just want to bring up one point about your weekly reports. You are doing great work thus far, but one thing that shocks me a bit is that none of you have any blockers at all during the whole program thus far.

You are allowed to be stuck, we’re not going to penalize you. We want honesty, so if you are stuck on anything, even if it’s very basic, state so. The goal is so that we can help you get unstuck or we can help you so you don’t spin your gears and get stuck. We want you to succeed, not fail. If you are truly not stuck, then great but I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that struggling is not going to lead any bad consequences.

You are ultimately judged based on your project output and how it lines up with your plan.

Keep up the great work but I just wanted to put this out there.

5 Likes

Please keep this in mind when you write this week’s reports. I don’t want you to lie and say you had no blockers, but I do want you to be honest with us and yourself.

Thank you for being honest this week @gsoc2021students! Good work! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Some of you have had no blockers throughout the entire program thus far, are you resolving them during the week? I do expect honesty if you are struggling. It’s not going to make you look bad at all. The difficulty level of some of your projects is not low so I find it hard to believe that you have not struggled at all. The only thing I can think of is that you resolve any issues prior to the end of the week.

is this the case?

3 Likes