Project: Participatory design enhancements to NeoRoo app

Every year, approximately 15 million premature babies are born and face a higher risk of newborn mortality, particularly in low and middle-income countries. One common complication of prematurity is neonatal hypothermia, which can be effectively treated with Kangaroo Mother Care/Skin-to-Skin care (KMC/STS). However, implementing KMC/STS is hindered by multiple barriers such as a shortage of healthcare workers and the labor-intensive nature of caring for premature newborns, leading to inconsistent scale-up of KMC/STS.

To address these challenges, a sensor-enabled swaddling device (NeoWarm) and the linked NeoRoo mobile app have been developed to support the adoption and uptake of skin-to-skin care among adult-baby dyads and automatically collect key vital signs information from newborns. The goals of this technology include automated monitoring of vital signs with regular alerts to parents and nurses if any abnormality is detected, enabling nurses to track multiple babies and KMC dyads simultaneously, and setting and tracking shared goals for education, KMC, and discharge. The ultimate aim of understanding whether this device is feasible and acceptable for use in health facilities in the United States. The future directions of this technology include incorporating participatory design feedback, conducting A/B usability assessments, and modifying and evaluating the feasibility for opioid-exposed infants.

The participatory design study with A/B prototypes of the app is being conducted. This project is to perform enhancements to the NeoRoo app based on the app’s feedback. Here are some design enhancements that will continue to evolve as the user study continues:

Preliminary tasks:

1. Update .gitlab-ci.yml to build automatically for iOS and Android App bundles instead of APK
  2. Implement Home page UI only from the Figma design (no need for all data sync)

Skills required:
Flutter, Android and iOS development

Mentors: @shbucher and @Hrishikesh-Bhagwat and @geepriya

3 Likes

I want to work on this idea. How I should proceed?

@MabudAlam we have added Preliminary tasks in the project description. Please send MRs to the NeoRoo issues to complete the tasks.

1 Like

I opened a merge request for gitlab-ci.yml at Updated .gitlab-ci.yml to build automatically for iOS and Android App bundles instead of APK (!26) · Merge requests · LibreHealth / LibreHealth Incubating Projects / Mobile Helping Babies Survive (mHBS) / NeoRoo · GitLab.

Someone is working on the HomePage UI and created a merge request at Preliminary tasks: Implement Home page UI (!25) · Merge requests · LibreHealth / LibreHealth Incubating Projects / Mobile Helping Babies Survive (mHBS) / NeoRoo · GitLab.

Can I work on the remaining pages?

Every person should implement their own MR with the home page. I don’t think @Mehul-Kumar-27 's homepage is exactly like the design. So, a better implementation can be made for it.

1 Like

I’ve some errors building the project. can you please tell me which flutter version should I run this project on?

some of the errors I get:

Now I managed to solve most of them, only those are remaining. could you please help me to fix them? @sunbiz

For testing, you can create empty tags in the config file and use them.

Great! thank you so much :pray:

@DoniaEsawi i am getting same errors regarding app_localization, can you guide me how to fix them

I ran these commands:

flutter clean

flutter gen-l10n

flutter pub get

2 Likes

Hello Saptarshi Sir, I want to contribute to this project and setting up on my local computer to get a good understanding of code structure. I faced 2 problems during setup of code in android studio

1. I have found that createTEI and fetchVideos api is missing from api_config.dart file. 2.Target of URI doesn’t exist: ‘package:flutter_gen/gen_l10n/app_localizations.dart’. (Problem Solved)

Kindly help me with these issues.

I dont understand what help you need? It compiles without issues.

Everyone, please look at how our CI builds it and it should be built without issues. Off course, if you find a bug, please describe the bug in the issues and send an MR to fix it.

I’ve opened 2 merge requests for the 2 preliminary tasks:

1- Preliminary tasks: Implement Home page UI (!28) · Merge requests · LibreHealth / LibreHealth Incubating Projects / Mobile Helping Babies Survive (mHBS) / NeoRoo · GitLab

2- Preliminary tasks: Update .gitlab-ci.yml to build automatically for iOS and Android App bundles instead of APK (!30) · Merge requests · LibreHealth / LibreHealth Incubating Projects / Mobile Helping Babies Survive (mHBS) / NeoRoo · GitLab

can you review them, please? I also want to know what are the next steps, should I proceed with the next pages in the design or should I start writing the proposal?

1 Like

Hey, I want to contribute to this idea. I’ve forked the project and submitted a MR to master with preliminary task (1)

Check MR here - Updated .gitlab-ci.yml file to accomadate analyze stage followed by building... (!31) · Merge requests · LibreHealth / LibreHealth Incubating Projects / Mobile Helping Babies Survive (mHBS) / NeoRoo · GitLab

@everyone - we will review the preliminary tasks slowly, but only one will actually be merged based on the best implementation. Please provide your MR links in your GSoC application proposal.

3 Likes

Hello @sunbiz , I’ve opened a merge request which has all the preliminary tests required to be completed.

Please view it and let me know if anything else is needed to be done.

In the proposal do we just have to give our approach to implement the frontend and the backend of the app or do we have to suggest some new features?

Give your approach to implementing the front end and the back end for the enhancements shown in the design. Also, the design enhancements will change in the final implementation because the user studies are ongoing but will be completed by the start of the GSoC project in the summer.

@sunbiz, could you provide insights on how user studies may impact the design and functionality of the application ? For instance, would user studies potentially influence changes to the UI, introduce new features, or possibly impact both areas ?