Project: Develop an Android mobile application for newborn clinical decision support

The Essential Care for Every Baby (ECEB) educational and training program, developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics, provides knowledge, skills, and competencies to nurses and doctors in low/middle-income settings so that they can provide life-saving care to newborns from birth through 24 hours postnatal.

Our research team (@sunbiz ; @shbucher ) worked with students to design semi-functional prototypes of an Android mobile application, the ECEB Digital Action Plan, that is purposely built to provide clinical decision-support for nurses and doctors delivering essential newborn care interventions during the first day of life. Our user interface was awarded First Prize in the American Medical Informatics Association Student Design Challenge, 2019: Students’ “Essential Care for Every Baby” app wins at AMIA – School of Informatics and Computing : IUPUI

We are eager to collaborate with motivated students, during Google Summer of Code 2021, who have skills in HTML and JavaScript, and are interested in helping us to move the ECEB mobile clinical decision support application from the design to development phase.

In particular, we are interested in developing full functionality in regards to several innovative features of the app, including:

–Ability to track multiple babies at a time; –Time-stamping births to generate an essential newborn care clock for each baby being tracked in the app; –Automated classification of babies health status, based on results from observations and assessments that are conducted during the first 2 hours after birth; –Automated advice on management of babies, based on their classification; –Reminders/alerts to provide recommended essential newborn care interventions; –If particular interventions are not delivered on time, or at all, capture of information regarding why this essential newborn care was late, or missed

The goal is to have a fully functional prototype, by the end of GSoC 2021, whereby our team can then conduct usability testing of the app in Kenya, among nurses and doctors.

For background information about previous design efforts, and technical aspects of the ECEB app, please refer to the following citations:

Essential Care for Every Baby_Digital Action Plan_BUCHER_AAP NCE.pdf (1006.6 KB)

Nuthakki S., Bucher S., Purkayastha S. (2019) The Development and Usability Testing of a Decision Support Mobile App for the Essential Care for Every Baby (ECEB) Program. In: Stephanidis C., Antona M. (eds) HCI International 2019 – Late Breaking Posters. HCII 2019. Communications in Computer and Information Science , vol 1088. Springer, Cham

Rajapuri, A., Purkayastha, S., Bucher, S., Ravirandharan, R., Horan, K. (2020) Essential Care for Every Baby: Neonatal Clinical Decision Support Tool, Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics , 11th International Conference (Full paper #769), July 16-20, Virtual Conference (COVID-19)

Mentors: @Siddhi , @shbucher
Skills required: Java, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, REST API

7 Likes

Hi @shbucher I am Ryan, I am currently studying for my Bachelors in Technology in St. Francis Institute of Technology. I came to know about your community through GSOC. I love your community and what it stands for. This project is simply great and I would love to work on this for you. Let me know if I could be of any help to you. I could start working on this immediately if you wish.

Hello @RyanVarghese , thanks for the expression of interest! Stay tuned, let’s hear from @sunbiz regarding the best way forward.

Okay no problem, thank you!

We have design prototypes in Adobe XD already created for the ECEB app. if you don’t have Adobe XD, you may look at the linked presentation in the main post which has screenshots of the design on pages 4-6.

If you could complete implementing a few as HTML pages with functionality to link the pages and build the APK from the Gitlab CI infrastructure that would show us that you have the skills and are interested in pursuing the project

Okay @sunbiz I will check them out. How shall I contact you if I have doubts regarding the project ? Should I ask them here or will you be comfortable if I privately message you so that I do not fill this page up with messages?

LibreHealth Chat is the appropriate way to ask questions. We suggest that all conversations about the project remain public so that it might help others too.

2 Likes

what if i create those screens in android? is it ok?

Sure, creating those in Android is fine.

I have some doutbs regarding this:

1. I have to build a few pages of the design you have provided as an app and not a website right?
  2. How shall I keep you updated about my progress?(If LibreChat then which channel should I show it on as it is mentioned that we are not allowed to have private conversations with mentors)
  3. Is there a deadline to this?
  4. Do you have a repository or anything as such of LibreHealth on GitLab or do we just have to create our own for the time being?

The project is to develop an Android mobile app. Why would you want to build a website? I said those technologies if you were using Cordova. If you use Android, then you use Java.

You create a public repository in Github or Gitlab and then in the chat or forums give us that link. You also should use the link in your GSoC application.

before you apply to GSoC, it should be in your application.

For this task you should create your own repository. We have many project repository, but this is for your intro task for qualifying to do the internship.

Hey there, Can we use flutter to build this app , or only java is allowed?

Hello Everyone, I am Darshpreet Singh currently pursuing Bachelor Of Technology in Computer Science & Engineering, I am really interested in this project, I have been a GSoC student last year & have worked on Cost Of Care Flutter App. I will build the prototype as suggested by mentors and will discuss my ideas here with everyone.

Can we build this project with Flutter as it will support Android, IOS, Web & desktop with single codebase?

These questions are starting to seem silly now. Name every technology and ask if you can build an app using that… Doesn’t matter. It should work on Android, as the project description says.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I will put the GitHub link in LibreChat.

Hello fellow contributors and mentors, I am Abhinav a pre-final year pursuing B.Tech in computer science from Bharati Vidyapeeth College Of Engineering, New Delhi. I liked the project idea very much and how impactful it can be. I would like to work on this project. I will create the demo app as per the design given by the mentors and will share the link here.

Can I get some clarity on “linking the pages”. Do we have just have to show the flow using a demo app without actual features but having UI screen as desired, or it’s something else? Any clarification is appreciated. Thank you :slight_smile:

Has anyone else started working on the prototype as suggested? Can anyone clear my doubts?

1 Like

Yes, I think we just have to develop UI with dummy data and “linking pages” means that screens need to be connected with each other like in the Adobe XD preview, the flow of app must be same as in the preview.

1 Like