Project: Develop an android/ios mobile application NeoRoo (An integrated mHealth platform to improve nursing care for premature babies)

Definitely, @sunbiz I will be contributing to this awesome project :slight_smile:

Regarding the Medical professionals perspective, in most settings the Medical facilities are under staffed whereby the doctors and nurses have too much to deal with, and monitoring this data will be tedious to an already overstretched doctors and nurses. Will the application have a trigger system that give alerts when the vitals of a baby are over the normal range.

@shbucher I did a complete literature survey of all the research papers and any online material I could find and have got a much clearer picture now. But I have some questions:

In this paper, it has been mentioned that KMC device updates the reading at 0.1 Hz frequency at least in the experiment with the water bottle models and reduced the standard deviation by nearly 3 times, than that with sampling at 1Hz frequency. Is this the same rate for everyone or this is configurable too?

Secondly, in this paper, the authors used a different sampling rate. I guess this is because the rate of change of temperature is much slower and less drastic than the heart rate readings. So data for each vital will be coming in at a different frequency? In the first reference, only temperature was being monitored but the problem statement asks us to monitor breathing, heart rate, blood oxygen saturation, and temperature – and then relaying these vital signs readings to the NeoRoo app.

Dr. Purkayastha @sunbiz said that the device is to be used in remote areas with limited network connectivity. So a simpler solution like having a DHIS hosted on the hospital’s local network wouldn’t be fine? It does not need external network connectivity as the server is on the same network.

If it was a social media app where such updates are not crucial, this wouldn’t be needed. But here lives are concerned and every minute is crucial according to me.

@sunbiz @r0bby @shbucher Also does use of any Platform specific code fit in the requirements of the project?

Hi. In the current repository of the NeoRoo app, there is a logo present. That will be unchanged right?

Most hospitals will have poor IT infrastructure and limited staff to manage a local DHIS2 instance. You can always assume some on-device cache that can be pulled by the app. And yes, the frequency of capturing data is different per sensor.

The app will have to work on Android as well as iOS.

Nothing in the current design should be considered permanent. If there is a better alternative that you can suggest, we will move to that. Please also understand that in our open-source world, we don’t work like a IT-services/client model. We will discuss all suggestions from everyone and move forward with an approach that’s most deliverable and we will iteratively improve it over time. So, in your proposals, be as creative as you want to be!!

yes @abdussamad, great observation!! and your proposal should highlight ways in which the app will receive these alerts. There are on-device alerts but might be good to get a log of all these alerts on the app over a period of time.

1 Like

Thanks @sunbiz ! I’ll follow your advice and do as you said.

Also about the draft proposals @r0bby had asked to make it as per the guidelines. But Gsoc also gives a feature of submitting a draft. Is a week prior to deadline a safe limit to submit a draft proposal?

You can submit it up until the deadline. Being the first to submit doesn’t mean you’ll definitely be selected. We will evaluate you based on the quality of your proposal.

The deadline is 2022-04-19T18:00:00Z. No extensions are given. So if you want to maximize your chances, start it on Monday and expect to continue to work on it until the de

I was actually asking about the time the mentors might need to review the draft proposal and in this org are we allowed to submit a draft for evaluation? @r0bby

Alright, thank you. i will consider that

I believe so. The webapp is new so I can’t say for certain but I suspect it is possible. As far as the time, we review them as they come in.

Work on your starter tasks.

Thanks @r0bby. Will work on this.

@sunbiz There are no official starter tasks for this project. I had asked this on the chat in the past but would just like to confirm as not doing starter task implies sureshot elimination. I had received a reply that non-trivial contributions to the existing apps in flutter can be attached as starter tasks.

Work on issues that are substantive on our flutter-based projects. They need to be more than just changing strings.

1 Like

Hi i am looking into the project under GSOC and i wanted to contribute to the project as i have experience in Flutter development. Can you please guide me on how to proceed :slight_smile: thanks

Read the thread and all posts under Topics tagged gsoc2022-project.

Is this necessary to complete to be able to take part in the NeoRoo project under gsoc ?

No. Can you not read the post by me above yours?

I will say one thing: If you can’t seem to read other posts in this topic, I don’t see you being successful.