Receiving care is expensive, and hence hospitals employ people to help patients get the financial help they need. Financial navigation programs differ from more limited financial counseling or assistance programs by proactively reaching out to all cancer patients to assess their needs for services and working closely with the patient, the care team, and administrative staff to develop and carry out a plan that alleviates the financial burdens of undergoing cancer treatment. Program representatives recommend being as proactive as possible by identifying potential clients early on and even meeting with all new cancer patients to assess their likelihood for needing support
Though most cancer programs offer some form of financial counseling or assistance, they provide a limited scope of services to a limited population. Assistance may be focused on one specific episode of care rather than on the patient’s overall planned treatment regimen. This is a good reference article on financial program navigation - https://www.michigancancer.org/PDFs/Publications_Products/MCCExclusiveProd/FinancialNavigationReport_FinalAccessible2018.pdf
Task/Project Your task is to develop a mobile application with a web based administration backend that allows financial navigators manage clients receiving financial advice. Please review this document of a similar application for training that we have developed for training midwives in neonatal resuscitation - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333305253_Development_of_an_Innovative_Mobile_Phone-Based_Newborn_Care_Training_Application
Your application should
- Allow patient enrollment - using FHIR and using plain registration
- Allow rapid deployment of surveys int he admin section and their subsequent completion (This should include the COmprehensive Score for financial Toxicity survey or The National Comprehensive Cancer Network’s (NCCN) distress management tool.
- Integrate in a video chat service - https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api
- Provide SMS functionality
- Provide an option to upload educational content
- Provide an admin view to manage all the clients with decision support
Task Prerequisite: Enroll a patient using DHIS2 Web API into the mHBS tracker application and show the patient into DHIS 2. The code to do this is available here: https://github.com/iupui-soic/mHBS_tracker
Bonus points Linkage with financial programs including
- Vivor’s PayRx Navigator (vivor.com), an online tool that identifies foundations from which patients may be eligible to receive assistance. The tool can also alert navigators when a foundation begins accepting new assistance applications, so they do not have to continuously monitor the program ’ s status.
- Tailor Med (tailormed.com)
- Assist Point (assistpoint.com)
Skills: Android, Web development