Project: Android application to show birth registration & newborn health data

Thank you @r0bby

One thought - if you prefer us to use GitLab as the primary destination for the project, let’s decide that now as will be easier to centre on one location and not have to migrate later. We don’t have a preference, as we are starting afresh here. Please advise :slight_smile:

I am “iainbarclay” on both GitHub and GitLab :+1:

@Maria-Freytsis should confirm, but I think we want to have a structure like…

[your naming scheme prerequisites] / NeoLinkID

And then for this project we would add

[your naming scheme prerequisites] / NeoLinkID / GuardianApp

• if that makes sense?

@iainbarclay I have sent the request to access their AAR files and cocoapods. I’ll let you know once I get access.

Ok, great - let me know if you need me to give them an extra push…

@prajwal27 - I had a message on May 7 to say your github I’d had been added to the Evernym beta repo - is that what you needed or something else?

@r0bby I agree with the naming structures that @iainbarclay proposed. Please send me an email invite once it’s decided between Github and Gitlab and I’ll set up my access and start to populate with our project materials. Thanks!

I have been invited to the repo. However, to access the AAR and cocoapods file which is probably in google drive, I need permission. I have requested that. Also, it would be better if we have some communication with the everynym as soon as possible.

Got it - let’s finalise our GitHub/GitLab and naming decisions and supporting tasks today (if possible @r0bby - see posts above), and then tomorrow you can post any ongoing SDK questions there and I’ll ask Evernym SDK guys to take a look (or you can tag them, I guess?)… meanwhile, I’ll get access to the AAR and cocoapods from them.

2 Likes

I just looked at their repo again, I think things have changed since I looked earlier - so hopefully you can now get what you need?

Yeah, got it. Their wiki was outdated.

Hi @r0bby - I wanted to see if there’s a way to schedule a recurring calendar call with a link using the LH video feature. If it’s possible, could you send that to all the mentors mentioned in the message in this thread? Thanks!

I think the meeting details are fixed, and available all the time -

Join the meeting:

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.402.2718,3034139266#

Looking for a different dial-in number? See meeting dial-in numbers: https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=gsoc2020-mhbs If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: https://meet.jit.si/gsoc2020-mhbs#config.startSilent=true

1 Like

@prajwal27 this report gives some comprehensive background on birth registration in general but also includes information on the birth registration process in Kenya and the impact that being unregistered has on the wellbeing of children. Interestingly, the report also includes results of the same research done in India. I can share additional background resources here on the forum but this report is a good starting point. @iainbarclay @sradha @shbucher

1 Like

Link to my 2nd Blog: Getting Started: Week 2.

1 Like

@prajwal27 thanks for linking to your blog - it looks great! I think it’s a good thing to have your own blog when you’re building your professional resume so hopefully this will be useful beyond GSOC.

I’m sharing here a couple more articles that will be relevant to the discussions we’ll be having throughout this process about the ethical implications of the data we plan to collect in our system. This New York Times article talks about the current concerns with Kenya’s new national ID program. This article on biometrics brings up important questions about the possible threats to human rights that biometric systems pose.
Finally, this article gives more background about the mHBS app. It includes UI which I think may be useful to orient towards since it has been tested in Kenya and ultimately we want NeoLinkID to be compatible with mHBS.

Have a good weekend and see you next week! @shbucher @iainbarclay @sradha @r0bby

1 Like

Okay so

How are we naming this:

for repos we’ve done this thus far:

lh-<project name>-whateveryouwant

So it’d be: lh-mhbs-neolinkid-guardianapp

2 Likes

Also if using GitLab – give both GitLab and GitHub usernames (you can use GitHub OAuth to for GitLab (I do this) so usernames would be the same.

I am assuming mHBS being the provisional name that your sub-org will use(we’re an umbrella organization). We’re provisonally incubating as one of the tiny changes we had to make since I can only imagine the amount of stress @shbucher is under right now due COVID-19…everyone really.

2 Likes

I set it up to mirror to GitHub - LibreHealthIO/lh-mhbs-neolinkid-guardianapp: Canonical Repo at https://gitlab.com/librehealth/incubating-projects/lh-mhbs-neolinkid-guardianapp

DO NOT commit to GitHub – just commit to GitLab. GitHub will automatically be updated by our bot user. I vaguely recall push and pull mirroring causing some fun…so it’s a one-way mirror.

1 Like

This may not be a concern but I wanted to pose the question jus t in case it influences the decision of Github v Gitlab. The plan for development support for SDK use was to engage with Evernym developers in Github. Will that be just as easy to accomplish in Gitlab? @r0bby @iainbarclay

@r0bby I am mariafreytsis on both Github and Gitlab and it’s linked to my mhealthmidwife@gmail.com address.