Project: Android application for birth registration & newborn health data tracking

Hey everyone myself Ayush Nishad, currently pursuing B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering from MMMUT, GKP. I had previously worked on an “E-Health record” Cross platform application which will help me to tackle this project. Therefore, I would like to work on this project idea for GSoC’20.

@r0bby @iainbarclay I have some doubts

• why we need a biometric identifier?
  • isn’t verifiable credential that will be used to retrieve the information instead of a biometric identifier?

Using iris images as a biometric identifier will require costly hardware which i don’t think will be feasible for birth registration in Kenya.

and using fingerprint as an identifier will be dependent on the fingerprint hardware we use, Different scanner has different SDK based on manufacturer.

What should we do?

because remember that some of these areas are remote and underdeveloped.

No.

Just a camera is necessary.

These aren’t expensive and are in use.

as i was digging deep into it i found that for iris scanning camera should have infrared band pass filter and an infrared led to capture iris even in dark, but sadly most of the current smartphone does not have it.

@r0bby @iainbarclay is there any type of boundation to use a specific kind of database for storing form?

Hi - do you mean for storing data locally on the phone? We don’t have any constraints about that, so please specify whatever makes sense for your design.

i meant storing birth registration data on the online database server.

for my proposal should i share it as a draft on gsoc page or share its link here for feedback?

Share it on the site and then we’ll look there.

1 Like

I think there should be a verification check of the user entering the detail, It should have login screen for the user which only allows an authenticated person to register an entry.

Storage of data in a remote location isn’t required for this project - the data will be stored in a credential which will be held by the mother in her app

You can put something like this into your proposal if you wish - but please don’t require it to check back with a server, any PIN/password checks would need to be done on the device…

Sorry but i think have misunderstood the project isn’t the project is about making an app for healthcare worker in which a healthcare worker will upload all the detail of the newborn, details will get stored in the database and a credential will be generated and given to the parents. so whenever birth details are required (example: In Vaccination) all the birth details can be fetched from the server and vaccines get added the the birth detail after every successful vaccination.

if I have misunderstood it, kindly guide me.

Ok, I will describe the situation - I’ll do it for everyone to see, rather than as a reply - I just can’t find the “New” post button on here for some reason!! :laughing: - ah, figured it out - I have to “Reply” to the topic to make a new post… which I have now done - please see that explanation and let us know if it helps.

1 Like

To clarify - the project is built around the concept of “self-sovereign identity” - so we are experimenting with individuals holding their own data and not having it stored in a central database or server.

What this means for the application is that the health worker using this app collects the information from the mother, enters it into the app, and then the app would directly issue the credential to the mother’s phone. We’re some way from that yet, and of course there are many things to consider about whether this is a good idea - but that’s research!

But for the goals of this project, we don’t need a server or central database to hold information.

Does that help?

Sir this is my proposal for GSOC 2020:

If I have any changes or feedback, please notify me

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply! It helps a lot.

1 Like

Thank you! I look forward to taking a look…