We have been accepted into Google Summer of Code 2023 (GSoC)!!!
The timeline is as follows (we have no control over this aspect, Google sets the timeline, not us):
- 2023-02-22T18:00:00Z: Google announces the list of accepted mentoring organizations.
- 2023-03-20T18:00:00Z → 2023-04-04T18:00:00Z: Applicants register & submit applications to organizations no later than 2023-04-27T18:00:00Z, no exceptions are made.
- 2023-05-04T18:00:00Z: Accepted projects announced; participants & mentors start planning their projects and milestones.
- May 29: Participants begin work on their Google Summer of Code projects.
- 2023-07-10T18:00:00Z → 2023-07-14T18:00:00Z: Mid-term evaluations provided to Google
- 2023-08-21T18:00:00Z → 2023-08-28T18:00:00Z: Final evaluations provided by participants to Google
- 2023-08-28T18:00:00Z → 2023-09-04T18:00:00Z: Final evaluations provided by mentors to Google
- 2023-09-04T18:00:00Z → 2023-11-06T18:00:00Z: GSoC contributors with extended timelines continue coding
- 2023-11-06T18:00:00Z: Final date for all GSoC contributors to submit their final work product
- 2023-11-13T18:00:00Z: Final date for mentors to submit evaluations for GSoC contributor projects with extended deadlines
Note: LibreHealth sets a soft deadline of 48 hours prior to the above deadlines by Google. This is done in an effort to ensure that we meet all the timeline milestones.
Mentor timeline milestones
These are 48 hours (2 days) prior to the official deadlines):
- 2023-04-25T18:00:00Z : Project selections due by mentors
- 2023-07-12T18:00:00Z: Mentors’ mid-term evaluations due
- 2023-09-02T18:00:00Z: Mentors’ final evaluations due
- Get yourselves signed up as mentors ASAP on the GSoC website.
- Please review the GSoC Mentor’s Manual as it goes over everything you need to do and how to evaluate proposals.
- Refine your project descriptions and be ready to respond to student questions in a timely manner. There is a feedback loop that should happen. The best contributors will be refining their proposals over time.
- Be available on the chat to respond to student questions in a timely manner. No questions should go unanswered for 24 hrs – let’s aim for 24-36 hours. Also, be available to respond to questions here on the forums as well.
- During the program, ALL communication must be public. Failure to do so will not end well. We will be detailing how violations will be handled a bit later. This will, however, be strictly enforced but each case will be given consideration as to whether or not private communication was necessary.
- Double-check and make sure you’re in the @mentors groups here on the forums. If not, send a direct message to @mentors and let us know!
- Introduce yourself to us. Explain your background and what you like to do.
- Review the GSoC Student/Contributor Manual as it covers any questions you may have.
- Join our chat – Desktop clients and mobile clients exist – use them…
- Please keep your discussion and questions within the threads we have set up for each project. DO NOT create new threads. We cannot accommodate other project idea proposals outside of what we have.
- Expect to refine your proposal over time. We are looking to evaluate you based on the proposal. You have a limited amount of time to complete your project, so you need to have a reasonable timeline defined.
- Start your proposal early, don’t wait until the last minute, it rarely ends well.