We have been accepted into Google Summer of Code 2020 (GSoC)!!!
The timeline is as follows:
February 20, 2020 : Organizations Announced March 16- 31 (18:00 UTC) : Student Application period March 31 - April 20, 2020 : Mentors review submitted student propoals April 21 18:00 UTC : Deadline to submit slot requests (Org Admins enter requests) April 22 18:00 UTC : Slot allocations are announced by Google
- April 22 - 30 (18:00 UTC) : Select the proposals to become student projects.
- May 4, 2020 18:00 UTC : Student projects announced
- May 4 - 31, 2020 : Community Bonding Period
- June 1 - August 31, 2020 : Coding
- June 29 - July 3, 2020 (1800 UTC) : First Evaluation Period
- July 27 - 31 (1800 UTC) : Second Evaluation Period
- August 24 - 31, 2020 (18:00 UTC) : Student Final Evaluation Period
- August 31 - Setemeber 7, 2020 (18:00 UTC) : Mentor Final Evaluation Period
Next Steps for Mentors
- Get yourselves signed up as mentors ASAP on the GSoC website.
- Please review the GSoC Mentor’s Manual as it goes over everything you need to do and how to evaluate proposals.
- Refine your project descriptions and be ready to respond to student questions in a timely manner. There is a feedback loop that should happen. The best students will be refining their proposals over time.
- Be available on the chat to respond to student questions in a timely manner. No questions should go unanswered for 24 hrs – let’s aim for 24-36 hours. Also, be available to respond to questions here on the forums as well.
- During the program, ALL communication must be public. Failure to do so will not end well. We will be detailing how violations will be handled a bit later. This will, however, be strictly enforced but each case will be given consideration as to whether or not private communication was necessary.
- Double-check and make sure you’re in the @mentors groups here on the forums. If not, send a direct message to @mentors and let us know!
Next steps for prospective students
- Introduce yourself to us. Explain your background and what you like to do.
- Review the GSoC Student Manual as it covers any questions you may have.
- Join our chat – Desktop clients and mobile clients exist – use them…
- Please keep your discussion and questions within the threads we have set up for each project. If you are proposing another project, please make a new thread, otherwise, DO NOT create new threads.
- Expect to refine your proposal over-time. We are looking evaluating you based on the proposal. You have a limited amount of time to complete your project, so you need to have a reasonable timeline defined.
- Start your proposal early, don’t wait until the last minute, it rarely ends well.