Project: Scaling up the mobileHBS/DHIS2 Tracker and Trainer applications

The mobile Helping Babies Survive powered by DHIS2 (mHBS/DHIS2) Tracker (Java) and Trainer (HTML; JavaScript) applications, built within the DHIS2 Mobile platform, are designed to provide educational and training support for maternal and neonatal care among health care providers in low/middle-income countries. We help nurses and physicians in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Latin America deliver evidence-based interventions that save maternal and newborn lives.

Our team (@sunbiz ; @shbucher ) recently completed a large scale field trial in Kenya and Nigeria (the eHBB/mHBS study). For that project, we deployed a “research version” of mHBS/DHIS2. Stakeholders are requesting a “scale-up” version of the tool, an application that is downloadable from Google Play, and has functions and features enabled, in the scale-up version, that were “hidden” in the research version.

We are eager to work with motivated GSoC students who have knowledge and skills in one or more of: Java, HTML, and JavaScript. The goal is to convert the existing research tool into a more scalable version, which is then released on Google Play. This will enable a wider number of individuals, institutions, and organizations to access and utilize mHBS/DHIS2.

To learn more about the context and technical aspects of design and development of the mHBS/DHIS2 Tracker and Trainer apps, please see these citations (If you are unable to access any of these materials, please let us know):

GitHub repositories:

1. mHBS tracker – GitHub - iupui-soic/dhis2-android-trackercapture: DHIS 2 Tracker Capture application for Android
  2. mHBS training - GitHub - iupui-soic/mHBS_tracker: The Mobile Helping Babies Breathe apps

Bucher, S., Meyers, E., Agnikula Kshatriya, BS., Avanigadda, PC., Purkayastha, SP. (2019) Development of an Innovative Mobile Phone-based Newborn Care Training Application , Innovations in Bio-Inspired Computing and Applications - Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Innovations in Bio-Inspired Computing and Applications IBICA 2018 . 21 May, Abraham, A., Gandhi, N. & Pant, M. (eds.). Springer Verlag, p. 361-374 14 p. ( Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing ; vol. 939). DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-16681-6_36

Bucher, SL., Cardellichio, P., Muinga, N., Patterson, JK, Thukral, A., Deorari, AK., Data, S., Umoren, R., Purkayastha, S. (2020) Digital Health Innovations, Tools, and Resources to Support Helping Babies Survive Programs, Pediatrics, 146 (Supplement 2; Oct) S165-182; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2020-016915

Video description of design, development, and use of mHBS/DHIS2 app within the eHBB/mHBS study is found here.

3 Likes

The intro task to be completed for this project is to do the following:

1. take the existing codebase for mHBS Tracker and merge upstream changes
  2. create a Gitlab CI pipeline to build the APK

In addition, in your GSoC proposal, identify some design changes and updates to the mHBS trainer app.

1 Like

Hi folks! I am Pranav Joshi, a second year CS undergraduate from NITK. I am very well versed with Node, HTML, Javascript, CSS, Java ,React. I found this project idea very fascinating and appealing. I would like to work with your organization for the mentioned project.

1 Like

Then show us you have the research skills and do the intro task. We are looking for that.

Hi , I ,am Preyank Kumar , a software engineering second year undergraduate student , I have a very strong experience in Java and Android App Development and find this project really interesting . I would like to work on this project , I have completed the intro task, do i need to submit the apk?

You need to submit a URL to the repository and show us that you set it up so that GitLab CI builds the APK.

This will be done in your proposal, not on our forums unless you want feedback.

Hello mentors, I’m sujith, I what to contribute to this project, as this project is Good and the cause of the project also good, I have some good knowledge in java, python and android, React, so I want to contribute to this project. I had a doubt regarding the repository, the one which is mentioned for the project is forked from " GitHub - dhis2/dhis2-android-trackercapture: DHIS 2 Tracker Capture application for Android " …So I had a small doubt regarding which Repository I has to fork to work on the project The main-one(dhis2/dhis2-android-trackercapture) or (GitHub - iupui-soic/dhis2-android-trackercapture: DHIS 2 Tracker Capture application for Android).

Can u please clarify for me…:sweat_smile:

Regards, Sujith

You are to use GitLab, not GitHub.

So we have to use the existing codebase from GitLab?

Read the instructions again, it says. You will also want to use the git command line tools, not just drag and drop upload. You need to be comfortable using git to be selected.

Yeah…I am familiar with basic git commands…

I will contact again if I had any query

Thank you for answering…

1 Like

Not a problem. Ensure you ask targeted questions and not just ask us outright what we want. We took the time to write it out, so we want you to read it.

You might have to create the repostory from the github repo. It’s pretty straightforward.

1 Like

Are there any default server and user credentials that we can use to login into the app for development/testing? Using the credentials provided here - GitHub - dhis2/dhis2-android-trackercapture: DHIS 2 Tracker Capture application for Android gives an error saying that the server is running a dhis version different than 2.29. Is there a server running the current version available for testing?

1. take the existing codebase for mHBS Tracker and merge upstream changes

There are literally 1500 commits since the two diverged! How is it even possible to know what to keep during rebasing conflicts without having complete knowledge of the entire codebase?

I am not sure, which source you are looking at, but I don’t see 1500 commits.

The test server is here - https://bmgfdev.soic.iupui.edu/

Username: testuser

Password: Admin@123

@sunbiz , @r0bby the task given is for the tracker app which is android app but why should we identify changes to trainer app in gsoc proposal . If i am applying for contributing to the android app then i should be mentioning the changes to the tracker app and not trainer app .

Both of those are Android apps. mHBS Tracker is based on Android-only technologies, but mHBS trainer uses Cordova to package HTML/CSS to build Android apps, but include some Android-specific things also.

This project requires changes in both mHBS tracker and trainer apps. So the proposal will have to cover upgrades and improvements to both of those.

thank you , Got it !!!

@sunbiz, @r0bby i am not able to login it is showing current version of url is 2.29 or continue using test what should i do ?

1 Like

@sunbiz, @r0bby i am not able to login it is showing current version of url is 2.29 or continue using test what should i do ? please help me with this

1 Like