Project: Develop an Android mobile application to show patient friendly costs of care

Okay, I will send a proposal here by Sunday.

1 Like

Don’t rush your proposal, make sure you’re giving us your best. It’s not a contest of whoever submits first.

Hi mentors @sunbiz @muarachmann @judywawira I am very much interested in this project but I’ve still to learn more on web scraping . So my question is can I submit the prerequisite task by fetching the required data from a database or a json file for now ?

it should be self-contained. You shouldn’t need a database for this. The idea is basically just a UI with dummy data.

@r0bby @muarachmann I want to start developing the Proof of Concept of this application. Before that I would like to clear some of my doubts.

1. Is it required to register every user of the app and authenticate them before starting the application ?
  2. Does the UI needs to be of a particular theme or design considering any previous or future applications of LibreHealth?
  3. Is any language more preferable (Java/Kotlin) for creating the android applications ?
  4. Any particular Coding Guidelines to be remembered, as in the cases of most open source contributions ?

For now, a it’s probably okay to just have the costs shown for a few hospitals, hard code this data. Don’t do anymore than that.

Do this however you want otherwise. We’re looking for whether you need your handheld making decisions or if you can work independently. Showcase your best work.

@r0bby @muarachmann Do we also need to make a website as written in bonus section “Designing and developing a web facing prototype” ?

Also do we need to scrap all hospitals of US if selected as there are 6,146 hospitals?

Also @r0bby should I change to what I have done in the app to as you told here

“just have the costs shown for a few hospitals, hard code this data. Don’t do anymore than that.”

Hi @adarsh_panig we generally lean to the LibreHealth theme for our apps, No auth is required at least not for now. Just dummy data like Robby said. I would go for Java if you prefer kotlin… it is still fine.

Thank you @r0bby @muarachmann for your suggestions. I’ve started working on my POC and will get back to you in few days with my repository link :slight_smile:

No, that’s extra credit.

No, read the directions. Pick one and do that one.

No, it’s fine.

@r0bby I didn’t understand this “No, read the directions. Pick one and do that one.”

I meant if someone is selected for this project then do he need to scrap all 6,146 hospitals during summer.

I guess, yes? But there may be more than that…I’m honestly not sure how many hospitals exist in the US.

Okay then should we scrap as many as can and can make a functionality to crowdsource??

There’s no way we assume you’ll get all hospitals scraped during the summer. Do what you can. Add functionality to import data.

Okay, I will include both in my proposal

Hey guys

I am Yogesh, and I am interested in this brilliant project. I am a computer science student with great passion and enthusiasm for solving problems and helping others in whatever way I can using what all skills I have.

This seems to very fine idea intended for a good cause. The idea of providing platform for helping others to find and compare hospital as per their economic condition is really brilliant. This really motivates me to contribute, as every line of code written will certainly be helping someone who are in search of hospitals.

I had few queries regarding the POC required to submit. Can we submit the following as part of POC,

1. DFD (data flow diagrams) and Flow Charts of application as part of POC which would propose the solution we are thinking about and it will also give much clear vision about the solution.
  2. Can we present the design mockups of the app, showing the flow and user experience.

Apart from this can I scrap and show data of list of hospitals provided by @sunbiz in the mobile app as POC?

Eagerly waiting for your reply @r0bby @judywawira @muarachmann @sunbiz.

@r0bby @muarachmann @sunbiz Will you provide us Database and Hosting services and also Google Map API Keys to search nearby hospitals??

Or we need to arrange these ourselves?

You could store this all client-side. Google Maps Keys can be created easily. If/when we deploy it, then we’ll make keys. If you create a web format, then possibly, but you can use Heroku’s free tier – or the GItHub Education Pack has some free hosting that you could use. We don’t need to create infrastructure resources during your project development.

Your POC should be just code, that’s required to show us that you can code and how well you do so.

This should be part of your proposal. Not needed for POC.

It’s required in your proposal. Not for the POC.

Sure, but only one hospital for the mockup and only show the prices, no searching.