Project: Create web components for FHIR Resources

Hello everyone ! I have a doubt related to create type resource based webcomponent. Some of the fields in the resource are of Array prototype with nested objects, for webcomponents other than the create type these objects are shown one after the other but in these create type webcomponent we can only send one object as the request…

below is the patient-get webcomponent with multiple name and telecom details fields…

and now below is the create-patient webcomponent with max one element for any field…

so should we provide an addition type button (for all multiple value taking fields) which increases one more element with default empty values (only for these create type webcomponents)?

1 Like

I think we should allow the developer implementing the UX using the web components should have a choice for that, like a repeat button or simply just add that subcomponent back to the page. i.e., this is implementation flexibility that should not be brought into the web component itself.

Does my reply make sense or did I not get what you are proposing?

1 Like

Yes, this cleared my doubt and completely makes sense :+1:

@r0bby what is the current status of this project, I mean is this a definite project ?

yes, it is a definite project, if we get good applicants.

1 Like

Are there any additions or changes that I should make to these (2nd pre task)? also should I create the datatype webcomponents I had made mockups on?

Some of the mocked-up components are not very useful to build an EHR. e.g., money, annotation, timing, signature. It would be useful, if you could look at an EHR system, maybe the lh-radiology or lh-toolkit UI and think of components that will be useful to replace the existing JSP based web pages.

2 Likes

I had a look at the above reference and some EHR systems and created a refined list of datatype that can be used:

• identifier (there is a person-identifier component present already, could use it for general purpose)
  • code
  • codeableconcept
  • reference
  • instant
  • datetime
  • attachment
  • contact point
  • quantity
  • string (could be used for simple field that take simple number or text input )
  • boolean (could be implemented like checked or unchecked boxes)

Some resouces that can help along with the already present ones:

Once the dataypes are ready, GET / POST component of the above can be created using the new and already created datatype webcomponents, only a few resource-specific-component will be required like :

1 Like

Yup – ideally when this project is completed, we’ll have components for all FHIR Resources which will allow developers to build things out in any way they choose.

1 Like

I saw some open issues on the webcomponent repo here. Can we work on these ?

yes, sure, please feel free to create new issues, work on any existing issues and provide MRs. We are open-source, so no need to ask.

1 Like

landed a MR for issue #44

1 Like

have a few doubts regarding this project :

• Will this project be more based on creation of new webcomponent for general EHR systems or implementing the toolkit app using the already created webcomponents?

• As according to the first post the new webcomponents which were required to be created for the app were order and observation resources: i could not find the order resource and observation was created last year?

I think we have created enough web components and the goal for this project would be to implement an EHR system using those components. Some components might be missing and those have to be implemented simultaneously. A good project proposal will be able to mock the screens for the EHR and identify those that will be required to be developed.

1 Like

Hello mentors, I have shared the draft proposal through the website, hoping to get your feedbacks and work on the improvements, I have also shared the proposal here :

1 Like

@sunbiz Thanks a lot for giving me the feedbacks earlier, I have made the additions according to your comments, should I submit the final pdf proposal?

I was looking into the security part of fhir and found that there are no resources to administer access control management or authentication. Also, an EHR should have some kind of security system that administers users, user authentication, and user authorization, so what would be the proper way to implement the above mentioned features ?

@sunbiz will have to answer this but I just wanted to give an acknowledgment that it’s not being ignored by us.

1 Like

Those should probably come from the system in which the API is implemented. So, the EHR backend will have to implement some form of security. In the past, we used Spring security and through that we authenticated through Basic Auth based on the request header. This worked only when using SSL for end-to-end encrypted sessions. However, for web components, this is something that can be ignored because the request for those web components can be blocked for lack of authentication on the server pages that include the web components in them.

1 Like

:link: Continue the discussion :point_right: Project: Create web components for FHIR Resources)