We have been accepted into Google Summer of Code 2017 (GSoC)!!!
Next Steps for Mentors
- Get yourselves signed up as mentors ASAP on the GSoC website.
- Please review the GSoC Mentor’s Manual as it goes over everything you need to do and how to evaluate proposals.
- Refine your project descriptions and be ready to respond to student questions in a timely manner. There is a feedback loop that should happen. The best students will be refining their proposals over time.
- Be available on the chat to respond to student questions in a timely manner. No questions should go unanswered for 24 hrs – let’s aim for 24-36 hours. Also be available to respond to questions here on the forums as well.
- During the program, ALL communication must be public. Failure to do so will not end well. We will be detailing how violations will be handled a bit later. This will however be strictly enforced but each case will be given consideration as to whether or not the private communication was necessary.
- Double check and make sure you’re in the @mentors groups here on the forums. If not, send a direct message to @mentors and let us know!
Next steps for prospective students
- Introduce yourself to us. Explain your background and what you like to do.
- Review the GSoC Student Manual as it covers any questions you may have.
- Join our chat – Desktop clients and mobile clients exist – use them…
- Please keep your discussion and questons within the threads we have set up for each project. If you are proposing another project, please make a new thread, otherwise DO NOT create new threads.
- Expect to refine your proposal over-time. We are looking evaluating you based on the proposal. You have a limited amount of time to complete your project, so you need to have a reasonable timeline defined.
- Start your proposal early, don’t wait until the last minute, it rarely ends well.