Let's brainstorm Google Code-In Tasks

Looks like we SHOULD have plenty of mentors. Our next task would be to come up with tasks – we’ll need a decent amount (some can be repeatable) – Some should ideally require writing code, of varying levels of difficulty, but keep in mind that some might have no experience coding. The ones who do the harder tasks are the ones who usually stand out from the crowd when selecting winners.

We should have far more time than we did last year. We’ll host them on GitLab again, which was helpful. We should get far more students engaging us directly, as opposed to drive-by ones. It’s my hope that we get some more meaningful contributors.

Let’s use this thread to brainstorm tasks. I’ll gather them. Feel free to use markdown in your tasks.

We should set a time aside, for us to chat in real-time. Have a peek at last year’s, we have some which I closed – we need to rework those but didn’t have the time to do it last year. They’re still valuable. I’d like to see more coding ones like I said above.

FYI – Simply renamed the label frol gci-2016 to gci-2017

@ivange94 can you work on generating a list of GCI tasks for radiology … we have chatted in detail on this and i am happy to let you take leadership on it …

@ivange94, Please do not put them in as issues…instead post them here

Please review this guide for how GCI works.

See the sample tasks that Google has provided.

For LibreEHR, we can have mapping of front-end from database and make a report with screenshots. @aethelwulffe @teryhill what you say?

@pri2si17 Use your words Pri, give me a better idea of what that looks like. We will need to describe it in clear detail. We should, with each task, also describe how it helps the project.

I think we should come up with some task that crosses over Toolkit and EHR.

2 Likes

Ok. What I am thinking is, to map every table with UI. More specifically each field name of table. For eg : patient_datas table contain patients information. This is more similar to what I did and it will help in cross check or more efficient breakdown. Just a thought. Tell me if it can be improved.

1 Like

Make a nice list of tasks here…maybe in a single post here on this thread… Don’t make gitlab issues yet please…

Keep in mind there will be hand-holding and patience will be necessary. The reward at the end is what makes it all worth it.

I do like the idea of having a road theme to do a joint EHR and toolkit project as proposed by @aethelwulffe

This will stimulate the discussion between the teams to learn about shared roadmap goals and will be a great experience for cross pollination between teams …

2 Likes

Seriously: I am just looking forward to when I can deploy the EHR with a PACS/DICOM server, a radiology module, and a full FHIR interface…to go along with a nifty telemedicine suite as well of course. It isn’t just a jar of cookies, it is a jar of cookies that I WANT. Frankly, I think we need a real symposium in the near future, but making a theme for the code-in things that cross the platforms may be a good idea if we can come up with achievable stuff.

2 Likes

I have an idea for a task:

Help redo our website. We desperately need to improve it.

Will add more detail when I’m home

2 Likes

I would like for us to create many programming tasks in the Toolkit platform. Basically build OWAs and components for a lot of the parts that can be reused by multiple FHIR supporting EHR systems. @judywawira , also needs these for the radiology distribution.

Whats the deadline till which we can propose some tasks? I also have a couple of graduate students who can help create webcomponents ideas that can be tickets for the GCI students. They can also probably grade/mentor GCI contestants.

1 Like

We should start now – We have to have a task list available as part of our application.

Propose them here on this thread

This the first topic in that thread is editable by everybody. Do not delete any of the instructions.

See GCI Task brainstorming