Educational Goals

After further review I think Layout Visit Forms is what I want. If I can find the time I would like to create a metabolic visit form that can be used for patients with diabetes, hypertension, obesity and high cholesterol. I can incorporate all national guidelines in the form

These forms are not very user friendly, so if anyone knows of an open source option to create visit templates, I would love to hear from you

Dr Hoyt.

I will gladly take whatever crayon drawings that describe what you want a form to look like, interact with other forms or data, and otherwise support business logic and turn them into operable clinical forms. The EHR needs new clinical forms. Lots of them. Preferably ones that are based on Knockout.js in my opinion, though clean simple PHP forms are also good. The big issue with Layout Engine Forms is that reporting from those is a total nightmare, they are ugly as sin, and it is difficult to get some form elements operating properly. The engine also creates HTML errors and a host of other capital sins. Here to help. Will produce work. Can take your .odt form and turn it into an EHR form with minimal effort.

1 Like

I will take you up on this and there is no hurry and I would hope we could include this in whatever becomes our proposed charge to IBM for an educational EHR. Please take a look at a PDF ONC created that gives information about what a diabetic follow up form should look like. The form should link to existing tables (labs/medical problems, medications (aka prescriptions), vital signs, etc.) Perhaps the PDF will give you some idea as to how it might look.

I get all that. I have been dealing with NQF stuff, remember? :wink: All that stuff is in there, and it is easy enough for me to cobble through all that and make a bunch of radio buttons and the like. That ainā€™t good engineering though. What we want is something not quite as hideous as that form, plenty info dense, but supports the actual flow of operations, scheduling etcā€¦ for treating the issues. It should be clinically helpful in a great number of ways, not prone to giving the user helmet fire (too much to look at at one time) when concentrating on one portion of the plan, and, in particular, please your own aesthetics as a clinician and educator.

I often ask for crayon drawings, and rarely get them.

Let me think it over and try to give you a proposed template. I agree that we should have a library of templates, but the process should be easy enough that the average clinician could create their own

Presenting forms that aid with documenting specific tasks and decision support is definitely something that needs to be part of the curriculum.

As an example, there is the purpose built Ophthalmology form http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Eye_Exam

Some of the custom forms we built for the Peace Corps effort might also be reasonable to present. (There is a more sophisticated History and Physical, very long/large forms for documenting sexual assault, as well as many others.)

The eye exam is highly complex and specific. The templates I would consider would be less complicated and cover common diseases and reasons for visits. I could not find simpler templates on OpenEMR

1 Like

@yehster did you see the formā€™s repository that @aethelwulffe started. If you have some you would like to include we could use them.

Here is a message I just received from a HI instructor. Do we want to include her class?

This is fantastic. Our new BS in Health Informatics launches in Fall 2017. Currently, we have eClinicalWorks, but I feel students will get more out of it with data already available. Would I be able to use this in the classroom starting in Fall 2017? Is there a way to reset data for each semester?

Thanks for sharing,

Crystal Crystal Summers Lecturer and MHI Program Coordinator Business Informatics Department Northern Kentucky University College of Informatics

1 Like

@rhoyt I would say yes ā€“ but one thing you have mentioned is that there is a lot of work to get the system ready for fall classes - do you think it will be ready ?

Can we have her do the testing of he system early in to see if itā€™s a good fit ? That would be useful feedback

I see a need to have a student or someone working to set up demos for interested instructors and get their feedback ā€” if they were not many requests I would be happy to help with this task as I think one on one engagement early one will prove to be rewarding later on

1 Like

I plan to work days, nights and weekends to complete the user manuals. I have enough exercises to launch a class but wait to see if anyone else sends me additional scenarios.

I have asked everyone who has expressed interest to be sure to look at the demo. I think sending them some of the instructional PDFs would also be valuable. I am creating a new email list of those instructors who responded to my mass email to indicate they are interested in this project.

@teryhill has been very helpful trying to problem solve some of the glitches I have encountered. I need to hear from the steering committee exactly how and when the software (not the demo) will be available and the URL so it can be added to the instructions

1 Like

Thanks for all the effort @rhoytā€¦ A big thanks!! We have the 64GB RAM dedicated server at a data center in Kansas on which we had deployed the VM, which now have been moved to rackspace. So that server is available to host a VM each for the different univs/schools. @r0bby and @infrateam is that feasible to do??

One other suggestion is to have the instructors join in the forums for librehealth under education tagā€¦seeing the thread to new comers can inspire confidence in the product

Also growing a community would be pretty amazing but obviously first step first

I havenā€™t moved EHR @sunbiz ā€“ when I do ā€“ Iā€™ll destroy that VM ā€¦that said ā€“ sure we can host thereā€¦Iā€™d probably set up some automation though ā€“ itā€™s sort of a pain to set up servers on the promox serverā€¦it was my hope that we could move to Rackspaceā€¦thereā€™s automation that can occur with RS ā€“ plus integrated backups and the ability to host our stuff in > 1 data center.

Once I see how many people over all respond this week to my email, Iā€™ll invite them to join the forum as that is an excellent idea

1 Like

Iā€™m still collecting ideas for teaching scenarios for LibreHealth EHR

1. Iā€™m not sure writing new clinical decision rules will work out, because you have to be an administrator to create new rules, unless there is a way to give students access through ACL, etc.
  2. The only analytics we can offer at this moment is creating reports, unless we come up with bright ideas using CSV files, etc.
  3. @subbiz-- what is the status of the toolkit? I am assuming (based on my survey) that some schools would like to create SMART apps on FHIR and would like a sandbox. Is that realistic? If not now, when?
  4. I posted on GitHub because I could not get the CCD report to work properly and want that as an exercise
1 Like

I am at a stopping point until I can overcome some of the issues I have already posted about.

I saved what I have done thus far (9 pages). Please review when you have a chance: EHR Tutorial Exercises_July17.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

Can you give me a priority list for the issues so I can try to work on them in a means that will benefit you?

1. We should be able to create/download a patient summary. The issues I have with the CCD are 1) that it doesnā€™t map to Medical Problems. It states todayā€™s date and has ICD-9 in the same area on the form 2) when the XML file is downloaded I canā€™t open it with the standard web browser. This would be a valuable exercise for all informatics students

2. I would appreciate a yes or no: can new CDRs be written by anyone other than an administrator? Is there a work around in ACL or elsewhere? In the real world I assume it would be physicians writing these and not the administrator. Donā€™t want to give full admin status to students

Standard === Firefox. We can changed ICD-9 to what it should be, which is not ICD-10, but rather ā€œDiagnosis Codeā€ or ā€œDx Codeā€.

An ACL group can simply be added that has that additional permission in itā€¦unless no-one bothered making that a separate flag in the ACL check (if it is simply ā€œadminā€ or related).