Educational Goals

The report searches for patients who had an encounter with the given diagnosis. If the “from and to” fields were left as default, then that would explain why searches by diagnosis was failing.

All of the NHANES encounters are dated for Dec 31,2016, so changing the from field to any date before then should work.

Terrific. Thanks. I think I searched starting April 24th when I think you uploaded the first data, so will change the start time. BTW, doesn’t look like race is active yet and can’t seem to search by medications.

One minor issue for the educational EHR. I assume we can’t add hyperlinks out from an encounter note. In the case of case studies I created with genetic information, the educational aspect should hyperlink out to a genomic site (OMIM) for further information. I now have 10 case studies.

I might be able to solicit the help of a very bright pre-med student to help with a user guide. Is anyone else doing something in this area??

Some of the updates like race are still only on my local copy. I haven’t updated the demo server yet. I don’t want to conflict with the manual updates you’ve been making.

Being able to create hyperlinks from the encounter would mean that there is a “cross-site” scripting vulnerability. So that is explicitly prevented for security reasons.

Roger that. Are you able to search by medication name successfully?

Again, before I consider paying a student to create a basic user guide for students using SnagIT, are there any objections or suggestions? The idea (more or less) would be to have this as an orientation to all students using LibreHealth EHR. After going thru this manual, students would soon go on a scavenger hunt to find the features and prove to the instructors that they have basic competency. From what I can tell this is a more common approach than a quiz early in the course.

I have 10 sample patients for case studies and can create more if requested. What I would hope we would discuss is a basic instructor manual that might provide ideas as to how to use the EHR for teaching to appeal to clinical students, HIM, HI, and health sciences students. Thoughts or comments?

1 Like

No objections but we still need more documentation from the EHR guys

One of the inconsistencies in the application is that there is both the “medications list” and the “prescriptions list” which both store similar data. The “clinical report” searches the “prescriptions” table while the data was put in as medications in the “lists” table.

Everything can always be found using SQL queries. Installing PHPMyAdmin and setting up a purely read-only account on the demo server to allow ad-hoc queries might be something to consider.

Although we’ve forked from OpenEMR, much of the documentation on the wiki is still valid, although much of that documentation hasn’t been kept up-to-date. (The videos mostly look like they are still using the old frames interface instead of the current tabs view).

http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_5.0.0_Users_Guide#OpenEMR_5.0_dev_-_Intro_1_Walkthrough

I’m not sure I would understand enough myself to be able to put together compelling video guides. I feel like we need more feedback from instructors. (Catch-22 of course, since having the guide is also intended as a way to reach out to those same instructors :slight_smile:

Maybe we should start enumerating specific topics/concepts that ought to be highlighted in an instructors guide.

Would you have any objections to hiring some one who has been writing the documentation for OpenEMR for a long while? @tony it is time for you time chime in.

Harley Tuck, a soon to be former member of my team wrote a lot of the OpenEMR documentation as well as producing training videos. I’ve run out of funds at this time to keep him on staff, but I’m sure he would love a bit of contract work to do docs for this project or LibreHealth in general.

I am meeting with this student this afternoon to discuss the way forward. I suppose we could create a simple how to guide that is modular and similar to OpenEMR. My plan was to pay him the going graduate student rate of $14.50/hour but have to see how things work out.

My goal has been to get things ready to the point of having some schools use the educational EHR for the fall semester. This would mean we would have to get our act together by the first or second week of August. Is that realistic?

The medication search should definitely not search prescriptions, in my judgment

1 Like

After spending most of the day yesterday on the outline of a user guide and exercises, I came up with the following. We would create a series of instructional PDFs with annotated screen shots (quicker to create than videos, for now).

PDF #1 would be for instructors/faculty whom I assume have admin privileges

PDF #2 would be for students which would review all pertinent menu options, concluding with picking and analyzing one of the sample patients

PDF #3 would be the scavenger hunt for most students which would be a popular way to prove the students know how to navigate the EHR

PDF #4 would be creating a new patient with all the bells and whistles

PDF #5 would be the advanced exercises as I outlined previously, quality measures, CDR, reports, patient portal, etc. etc.

We are just starting so if someone has a better idea we would love to hear it. Just trying to move things forward

1 Like

I would like to discuss the PHPMyAdmin option further. I happened to browse OpenEMR user guide today and ran across their access to the database option using PHPMyAdmin with instructions here. Is this one of the best options to give faculty the opportunity to run SQL queries? I definitely believe this must be a future goal, but don’t know if this is better than supplying the SQL dump file and any other alternatives

sorry for the slow response. I didnt know my travel schedule for 6th July. I will be in +6.30 timezone on 6th July and so it will be quite late in the night for me to join. I would have liked to be on the call, but sadly cannot. I’d like to hear updates and level of interest. So, I’ll appreciate if there is a recording or notes of the call that I can read later.

I like all of the suggestions. I’ve struggled through the different UIs, so PDFs with screenshots will be very useful. I think the idea of different user groups like faculty, students are all great suggestions. The scavenger hunt will be difficult for students new to EHRs, so this is probably a little more advanced.

We’ll take notes and post that same day

Actually, the scavenger hunt is very basic. “Tell me the height of Sally Jones on last visit, the A1C on Sam Jones” etc. They have to fill in the answers to say 25-50 questions. It just shows they know how to navigate the EHR and find data. This could be set up as a quiz in any learning management system (LMS)

I have not received any feedback from Bellevue College and the UT-Memphis, in spite of two emails. I interpret that as not interested. Lake Sumter Community College HIM program wants to play, so they are the only school at this point. We need to first get our act together to be sure all of the pertinent functions actually work. I assume we need some programming money for timely bug fixes.

I can send out a newsletter to the 450 health informatics instructors I have contact information on in late July to try to find 2 other schools, but only if we are ready to offer a mature product by late August when the fall semester begins

My HIM faculty friend at Lake Sumter State College shared with me the HIM competencies (2014) for the Associate, BS and Master’s level degrees. I extracted all of those that are pertinent to our project and are in this PDF. HIM Competencies Relevant to LibreHealth Educational EHR.pdf (19.6 KB)

AHIMA has done a good job of being pretty specific regarding what the HIM students need to know. I don’t have this time of detail for health informatics

1 Like

This is probably a good time to ask. Are the instructions and options to create treatment templates the same as posted in OpenEMR?

Yes those instructions should be the same.