Educational Goals

I added sedimentation rate under procedure configuration, for the patient Penelope Daugherty so I could create a giant cell arteritis case study. Unfortunately, the results are screwed up such that the result says sweat chloride but showing the sedimentation result of 100??. Initially, under procedure configuration I inserted sedimentation rate below sweat chloride, but later made is a top level test. Can you straighten this out? Many thanks

I corrected the sed rate in “configuration.” The “subentry” under the order needed to be created as a "discrete result."
I’m not sure that the existing order can be fixed where the sed rate procedure order now has both as sweat chloride and a sed rate though.

The is a bug on the immunizations screen that prevents saves at the moment. Not sure why allergies and appointments aren’t working for you.

Probably easiest for me to create another patient

Test Patients so far:

1. Deloris Khan
  2. Everett Monroe
  3. Henry Willis
  4. Jimmy Jennings
  5. Sonja Bryan
  6. Dennis Kelley
  7. Eddie Schneider
  8. Myra Patrick
  9. Andre Salas
  10. Danny Jarvis
1 Like

I was able to enter an allergy as rhoyt, but could not enter an immunization. It said there was a completion error. See screen shot

5 posts were split to a new topic: Update EHR/NHANES with new fixes

This is good news. We should have them in the community and discuss the proposal, when we are ready to start editing.

This, this is what I mean to send, hopefully during this weekend. Specific EHR objectives might be hard to get funded through the NSF SSI mechanism. NSF thinks NIH should be funding health focused research. My goal is to be able to research the ecosystem innovation and ways to spur innovation in the open-source ecosystem using the SSI

We now have an appointment for a teleconference with IBM, specifically Dr. Michael Weiner who is their CMIO for healthcare-related issues. We should talk ahead of time about what we want to accomplish. It will be audio (30 minutes) and not audio-video so we have to be short and to the point. I would like for @sunbiz and/or @yehster to be on the call, if possible. I will have surgery the day before but I usually bounce back really quickly. Here is the contact info:

July 6th at 2pm EASTERN Callin#: 1-888-426-6840 Participant Code# 10330781#

Suggestions:

1. We leave potential financial support by IBM to the end
  2. We would like for IBM to be an intellectual partner
  3. We would like for IBM to be a healthcare analytics partner
  4. We need to stress that this project should appeal to a very broad audience: HI, HIM, Clinical, Health Sciences, and research students
  5. Having a hands-on EHR should allow for a variety of studies, such as usability, clinical decision support, etc.

Let me also add that Michael Weiner was surprised that the plan was to make the software free. Obviously, down the road there could be the free option to upload from GitHub and a fee-basis for installation and support. I assume this decision would be up to the Steering Committee

The base platform should be free … hosting an enterprise version should be for a fee e.g. Getting case studies for teaching could be an enterprise feature

Definitely this requires more thought and discussion

Good thoughts regarding the free vs enterprise version

Is anyone else going to be able to attend the teleconference July 6th with IBM?

Does the search by ICD-10 code actually work? When I go to Reports > Client > Clinical and search by ICD-10 code (with and without other boxes being checked) I get no results. I have been finding sample patients by searching by age and then selecting ascending ICD-10 codes and search the list. Not optimal

The report searches for patients who had an encounter with the given diagnosis. If the “from and to” fields were left as default, then that would explain why searches by diagnosis was failing.

All of the NHANES encounters are dated for Dec 31,2016, so changing the from field to any date before then should work.

Terrific. Thanks. I think I searched starting April 24th when I think you uploaded the first data, so will change the start time. BTW, doesn’t look like race is active yet and can’t seem to search by medications.

One minor issue for the educational EHR. I assume we can’t add hyperlinks out from an encounter note. In the case of case studies I created with genetic information, the educational aspect should hyperlink out to a genomic site (OMIM) for further information. I now have 10 case studies.

I might be able to solicit the help of a very bright pre-med student to help with a user guide. Is anyone else doing something in this area??

Some of the updates like race are still only on my local copy. I haven’t updated the demo server yet. I don’t want to conflict with the manual updates you’ve been making.

Being able to create hyperlinks from the encounter would mean that there is a “cross-site” scripting vulnerability. So that is explicitly prevented for security reasons.

Roger that. Are you able to search by medication name successfully?

Again, before I consider paying a student to create a basic user guide for students using SnagIT, are there any objections or suggestions? The idea (more or less) would be to have this as an orientation to all students using LibreHealth EHR. After going thru this manual, students would soon go on a scavenger hunt to find the features and prove to the instructors that they have basic competency. From what I can tell this is a more common approach than a quiz early in the course.

I have 10 sample patients for case studies and can create more if requested. What I would hope we would discuss is a basic instructor manual that might provide ideas as to how to use the EHR for teaching to appeal to clinical students, HIM, HI, and health sciences students. Thoughts or comments?

1 Like

No objections but we still need more documentation from the EHR guys

One of the inconsistencies in the application is that there is both the “medications list” and the “prescriptions list” which both store similar data. The “clinical report” searches the “prescriptions” table while the data was put in as medications in the “lists” table.

Everything can always be found using SQL queries. Installing PHPMyAdmin and setting up a purely read-only account on the demo server to allow ad-hoc queries might be something to consider.

Although we’ve forked from OpenEMR, much of the documentation on the wiki is still valid, although much of that documentation hasn’t been kept up-to-date. (The videos mostly look like they are still using the old frames interface instead of the current tabs view).

http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_5.0.0_Users_Guide#OpenEMR_5.0_dev_-_Intro_1_Walkthrough

I’m not sure I would understand enough myself to be able to put together compelling video guides. I feel like we need more feedback from instructors. (Catch-22 of course, since having the guide is also intended as a way to reach out to those same instructors :slight_smile:

Maybe we should start enumerating specific topics/concepts that ought to be highlighted in an instructors guide.

Would you have any objections to hiring some one who has been writing the documentation for OpenEMR for a long while? @tony it is time for you time chime in.