Needs assessment for an educational LibreHealth EHR

Sounds very reasonable. The results of the survey were cool to see. I love the idea of having you head up this effort with support from the team.

1 Like

Great. We are now up to 58 survey respondents and I’ll send out my last love letter next week requesting that they take the survey. IF others look on this game plan favorably, I’ll need to set up a meeting with our Research Section to get the ball rolling. Additionally, my university (and others) might have graduate students in software engineering that might use this as a Capstone Project

Perfect!! I too have a couple of students who want to do this as their capstone project. I think we will need to think about long term funding opportunities for the EHR and some supporting infrastructure like assignments, tutorials to work with the data. Instructors could contribute with their own material/question banks on this.

Should we get a multi institutional IRB? Am happy to brainstorm on the clinical side of the content … and what the future radiology data for the patient would look like [quote=“rhoyt, post:1, topic:246, full:true”] Over the past 10 years during my conversations with smaller universities and colleges they seemed to have struggled finding a non-commercial EHR for teaching. Unfortunately, I am unaware of a published needs assessment to determine what type of EHR (inpatient? ambulatory? both?) would suit their educational needs. In addition, it is my belief that an EHR that also offers the ability to upload de-identified real patient data could be used for EHR training, predictive analytics, database management, research, etc. I have feelers out to Oregon Health Services University to see if they can supply synthetic patient data but have not heard back. In the meantime I have closely examined the NHANES files 2011-2012 (almost 10,000 patients) and extracted 60 tables containing important clinical attributes: NHANES 2011-2012 tables.pdf (35.3 KB)

If we combined multiple study periods we would have data on about 65,000 outpatients.

I would like to consider sending out a survey to health informatics instructors to determine their needs for EHR education. I could use the AMIA Clinical Informatics Communities of Practice (CICOP) user group or I have a contact list of 400 health informatics instructors who have requested a download of my textbook who might be willing to take the survey. I wanted to run this by others for their opinion and see if anyone would like to assist

Bob [/quote]

Yes, we should aim for a multi-institutional IRB. As you know it is usually a plus for a grant if multiple players are involved. By the same token, it may help us if we state that this educational EHR could be used by multiple international instructors. In hindsight I should have asked the respondents to the survey if they were US or overseas instructors.

When I meet with our research team I will stress that this will be multi-institutional and have them start looking for appropriate grants. I think in someone’s email they had already identified an appropriate sounding grant.

1 Like

It looks like IUPUI is the only other academic center involved with this educational EHR effort. Is that correct? I did have someone reach out to me from Regenstrief Institute but nothing has developed with them so far.

I have meet with University of Texas, both Houston and Austin, several times and I have UTMB student training clinic in Galveston as one of my customers.

I also guest lectured at Mt Hood Community College, Oregon in their HIT EHR classes several times.

Might be able to get Ireland involved.

Should I see if any of them are interested?

Oh. Also had conversations with David Metcalf at UCF last year about this.

My tentative opinion is that the smaller schools (colleges) are excellent candidates for using an educational EHR for their students. At larger universities that have Health Informatics programs, they have the faculty with the experience and graduate students we are looking for to help drive this project. That being said, I think that David Metcalf at UCF has the background to be of help

I agree. My conversations and site visits with UT showed that they were all using OpenEMR to some extent, but had not even talked to each other about it, or had any clue the other regional HIT depts were using it, and did not appear to be interested in cross site collaboration. Struck me as feudalism…

I did speak with Bill Hersh who is the Informatics Head of Oregon Health and Sciences University and he was interested in our project but only if we achieve grant money $$$ to fund faculty time, which is certainly an issue (but not for me personally).

Given the short window to submit to inSpire 2017, limited faculty on this project and many irons in the fire personally, I would propose that Dr. Purkayastha (sunbiz) and I submit the abstract by February 2nd. The abstract is only 50-75 words which means we can barely describe either the project or the EHR needs assessment survey. I have already put together a brief (20 slides) presentation the two of us can give, but we are only allotted 20 minutes!

Just trying to propose a way forward so please let me know if there are better ideas out there.

I don’t have a meeting set yet with our Research Dept but the goal is to aim for multi-institutional funding

1 Like

Yep, that’s always the case with Bill, I have met with him many times over the last few years. One of his PhD grads (and a current OSHU employee) is a kid that went to highschool with my daughter…

I think @sunbiz had more thought she on additional faculty for the session but I say let’s go ahead and make an abstract for Inspire – hopefully we can get more interest

How many interviews do you have so far ?

We had 61 returns (15% return rate) and I plan to send out the last request for the survey today. Perhaps we need to start “small” and as we create prototypes and find long term funding, others will be willing to join.

1 Like

We have 78 returns or about a 20% return rate (pretty much the norm for surveys). Several respondents use Neehr Perfect which is based on VistA with scenarios and a charge of about $60/student/semester. Seems like an ok choice for undergraduates but not our vision as an EHR platform for secondary use.

For InSpire 2017 we need a very short abstract (50-75 words) and we are allowed to submit a full page for more information and a second page could post images (survey results). As soon as we have all of the surveys back, I’ll post the results in a PowerPoint and post that here. Here is a link to the abstract but I am way over the word count limit. Comments?

1 Like

I can contribute to the Inspire 2017 abstract starting tomorrow evening. But I think we have good amount of responses to start forming opinions.

I was planning to wait no longer than Tuesday or Wednesday and then take the generated data in the form of graphs/tables and insert them into the PowerPoint and post it for everyone’s input. Let me know if you have a better idea…Bob

I was off the mark with the abstract, as I was emphasizing the survey results instead of the project. I just re-wrote the abstract to reflect this and the word count is lower. Keep in mind that the one page document we will submit (along with the abstract) would be much longer and clearer as to our short and long term goals. Here is the link to the newer abstract…Bob

1 Like

We have 88 responses so I put together a very rough draft one page document, now on Google Docs It is my understanding that we can have a second page for tables/images so my plan was to take the survey responses that are in the form of tables and bar graphs and place them on page two. Once we have everyone’s feedback it won’t take much time to complete the PowerPoint presentation.

I annotated all of the reports available in LibreHealth so we can begin discussing what other reports might be useful for teaching. Here is the link to the list of reports.

Lastly, I mentioned diabetes registry as something we might consider because this month we wrote an article on a web based open source diabetes we created that is free to download from GitHub.

Let me know your thoughts

1 Like

Not directly related but for @rhoyt and @sunbiz with students interested in capstone projects the deadline for this is extended https://www.amia.org/jointsummits2017/hackathon/call-participation