Needs assessment for an educational LibreHealth EHR

Seems to work to me. You might want to try the “How many patients” as a range with <100 and 50,000+ or something as options.

Unless, there are objections I would like to send out the survey tomorrow to see what type of responses we receive. Hopefully, this will point us in the right direction, in regards to creating a highly useful EHR for educational purposes. My plan would be to send out the link to the survey within a MailChimp Newsletter these instructors are used to seeing. I would hyperlink also to the LibreHealth initiative and let them know there is a demo. Any other thoughts?

2 Likes

That sounds good too me. I’ll talk to the guys about possibly updating the demo to the most current code base this week, too.

Thanks so much. I will pull the trigger on the survey tomorrow

My next question is what is the preferred platform for a sandbox for LibreHealth EHR? Is this already available for the developers? I assume you have both a test and production environment. If the survey confirms the need for both a teaching EHR and robust uploaded patient data we will need to look at current patient data tables and potential tables we might want to use based on NHANES data.

As I mentioned to Art, I am willing to put some small grant monies behind this project if it looks like we have a cohesive game plan that we can all live with. Cheers.

We have a demo system setup, that with a bit of effort could be made to work well. There are some models that @r0bby and I have been discussing for both test and development deployment (and refresh).

As of right now, the developers spin up their own environments, which is fine. But a good method of providing test demo sites on-the-fly is needed.

I would ultimately like to have it deploy from CI on commits…but this is a long-term goal and wish I have…for now I’d rather they work where they’re comfortable and I will manually deploy and update the demo.

We only have back 17 survey responses thus far. Most teach at a university and teach general informatics courses. Most respondents don’t have an EHR and are interested in LibreHealth EHR. They checked the box for uploading multiple types of patient data and they requested several secondary uses of data such as research. Lastly, the majority wanted 1000 patients uploaded.

We are very close to Christmas so its a gamble to try to send more surveys out. Perhaps after the Holidays we can send the same survey to the AMIA Academic Forum and AMIA CICOP. I might send out another reminder for the survey I just sent out within the week and the third attempt in early January. Once complete I will, of course, provide the link to the results in this forum. Other thoughts?

1 Like

17 is a good start … I could share the survey to the women in technology groups i am on … I wish i was on the grace Hoppa mailing list

We are up to 25 respondents. I did go ahead and post on the AMIA CICOP Forum to add to our numbers. I also submitted an IRB application to my university and expect to get an exempt status

Interesting that about 90% of respondents were interested in an open source EHR, regardless if they were currently using a commercial or open source EHR or they used no EHR. Also, many were interested in secondary uses of data, such as for research and predictive analytics. FYI, the machine learning program WEKA can be integrated with a MySQL database so there is new potential for predictive analytics associated with an educational EHR. By the same token, someone wrote me and asked if we had EHR case studies or scenarios. We don’t currently, but over time this might be a great added feature.

If the results of the survey suggest strong interest in LibreHealth EHR, associated with patient data, we will need to discuss the following in January: .* What type of grants do we want to pursue? There are a variety of NIH-level and NSF grants to promote data analytics and data science. There are also several Health Informatics grants. This would be great for long term sustainment and involvement of several different universities. Unclear to me if this type of grant would pay for “development” of a teaching EHR or paying for software development. Alternately, my university (UWF) has several “internal grant” mechanisms that might fund start up dollars to build a prototype and get us to first or second base. Input please!!

• At this point, the only viable source of patient-level data I can find is NHANES. As I mentioned, I have identified many data tables/fields with relevant patient data for teaching and research. This approach would lack patient names and demographics, BUT Art Eaton seems to have a tool called PrintaPatient that generates this type of information, so perhaps this is a solution. NHANES does have a table of diagnoses that is patient reported, which is probably ok. We just need to map patient reported diagnoses to several ICD-10 codes. Lastly, we have lab data but don’t have encounters or image reports.

I know it is the Holiday Season and we can’t expect a lot of faculty activity; it is still a good time to brainstorm, so I look forward to the opinion of others…Bob

Wow that is great information. @aethelwulffe @tony Let me know where you want me. :busts_in_silhouette:

Likewise. Great to see.

We should use the CIEL dictionary fur terminology training … I am yet to chat with Tony and Art on this

I wonder if we can provide an open source curriculum to accompany the EHR

Love the progress though

This may be of interest

How many people do you have responses for @rhoyt . Maybe we can propose a panel ?

https://www.amia.org/inspire2017/call-for-participation

InSpire 2017: Call for Participation Open!

The Only Conference Specifically Dedicated to Informatics Educators

InSpire 2017 is a conference for educators to learn about state-of-the-art approaches and best practices in education, research, and training; and to build, support, and strengthen the academic informatics community. The goal of InSpire 2017 is to foster innovative approaches in informatics education to advance the health informatics workforce of the future.

The inauguaral 2016 AMIA InSpire conference was hosted by AMIA’s Academic Forum community and attracted 150 + educators. We anticipate an even larger crowd of individuals interested advancing the current and next generation of health informatics professionals to join us in beautiful San Diego, California, near the campus of University of California San Diego (UCSD).

Call for Participation deadline: February 2, 11:59 p.m. EST

Submission Categories:

Ignite Talks (New!) Workshops Presentations Panels Posters

We have 32 responses so far. It was my intention to re-send the survey the first week of January as the Holiday season definitely affects interest in taking surveys.

Interesting idea to create a panel for InSpire 2017

Bob

1. The EHR survey is now IRB approved through UWF
  2. I sent out a second request for instructors to complete the survey as the return rate is about 10%
  3. I have attached the results of the survey with 35 responses. Brief summary: a. Most are from universities b. Most teach a general informatics course c. 60% have no EHR for teaching d. Most use EHR for teaching clinical processes and practices e. If they use an EHR, it is mainly commercial f. Most are happy with EHR but 83% would consider a new open source EHR g. They want robust capabilities such as lab results, medications, diagnoses, etc h. Most requested 1000 patients in their EHR database i. Most request hosted services j. There is a strong desire to use the EHR data for secondary purposes such as research

Please let me know your thoughts about the results thus far. Shortly, I would like to discuss your thoughts about short term versus long term funding (grants)

EHR_Survey_Jan42016.pdf (183.2 KB)

1 Like

I would be happy to help work on this. As I understand it the panels can be didactic or just discussions with 4 panel members and 1 moderator. Thoughts by others?

I personally will not be able to make it big really appreciate the effort you have put in the education project … I am ok with you taking the lead on this … maybe consider being the education lead for librehealth too? @sunbiz wiuldyou be available for he panel ?

I can be available for the panel. Seems like an interesting discussion can be made out of this important need. Thanks @rhoyt for sharing the survey results. +1 to Judy’s idea if Bob you are willing to lead the education team for LibreHealth

I would be happy to lead the effort for an educational LibreHealth EHR but would want/need input from others. I don’t know if we can get 4 panel members or not. Perhaps just giving a 20 minute presentation (I believe that is all they allow) would at least alert the attendees of the efforts.

What I would like for others to consider and discuss would be a dual pronged funding approach. I have some funding available to me locally that could be “immediate” but only in the range of $10-20K which perhaps could help build a decent prototype (the ability to auto-populate LibreHealth with roughly 10,000 patient results from NHANES). Long term funding might be used to customize the software further and consider the creation of case studies, research scenarios, integration with machine learning (WEKA), some SMART app/FHIR effort and so forth.

Does that sound reasonable to you all?

Bob

1 Like