README: Making a great GSOC proposal - Example

Look at this link for a great GSOC proposal - The wireframes seem to be missing but this can help guide you

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/Patient+Narratives+Upload+-+Project+Proposal

4 Likes

The idea of your proposal is to show us you know what you’re doing.

That means:

• Research, ask questions
  • Give us a detailed plan of how you’re going to spend the summer. Your mentor will just check things off, and answer questions but expects you to carry out your plan
  • Wireframe ALL user interface elements!
  • Explain any and all technologies you plan to use and explain WHY you are using them.
  • Have a timeline of what you will have for each of the evaluations. Failure to deliver without speaking to your mentor and adjusting your milestones can and in my opinion SHOULD result in failure. At any of the evaluations prior to the final, you are booted from the program if we fail you. I’d recommend breaking it up into phases or weekly.

If your proposal is less than 6 to 8 pages, you didn’t include enough details.

7 Likes

Something that will get your propsoal rejected right away is re-using sayyy your final year project proposal without bothering to change it.

We can identify low-effort proposals. Talk to us while you write your propsoals!

1 Like

Thank you for information @r0bby and @judywawira

Thank you @r0bby for the information. Please I’ll like to find out, if we are to submit a Pre proposal for review by mentors before the official proposal PDF, how are we to submit it? Thanks

Sure. Monday is when you can officially submit but you can keep them in a draft state until it’s good. One thing you DO NOT want to do is submit it in its final form. If it’s not good, we can’t ask you for revisions.

Sorry @r0bby sir but i am still really not clear about how to submit a draft version. Does that mean we should upload proposal here in public to get it reviewed from you?

@sarm No, you should upload a proposal in GSOC site they will start accepting application from 16 march @r0bby, please cross check But, I am not sure we need to give both POC and Proposal in a combine or at a different place

@r0bby OK thank you very much

@shashank No, what i actually asked is not about the “final” proposal submission and i am quite clear about the dates but my query is regarding the “Drafted version” of proposal.

So just keep it in a draft state and ask for feedback and once we give you tell you it’s in good shape, then finalize it. Be mindful of the deadline to finalize it though, because we can’t select you if it’s in a draft state.

1 Like

I got the point that you’ll take it forward, I will let you know here once i am ready with draft and will ask for feedback.

thank you @sarm and @r0bby i am unaware of it. thank you very much

You can start uploading now I think

1 Like

@r0bby one more thing please guide we need to attach POC (which i mean GitHub repository link of something relative prototype work) in Draft and Proposal both is it?

Add it in your proposal doc somewhere as a link

1 Like

Thanks @r0bby for the information.