Rationale for starting from an openmrs-core fork?

@djazayeri thanks for your post … after AMIA, i am even more convinced that we made the right decision to fork the code

I can tell you that the next iteration of toolkit will be very different in architecture from Openmrs core and the reason why we will be able to do this is because we don’t have many users – this is a luxury that Openmrs doesn’t have any more because of the wide use

Given out new direction to move the architecture of the project in a new dimension , we wouldn’t have the resources to keep backward compatibility but hope that in future Openmrs and companies like thoughtworks (bhamni) may try to get some of the best practices that we learn from the librehealth projects

I wish to remphasize that we are building a core community and ecosystem – this would be very difficult to keep maintaining two projects especially given how young we are , and I think what we can do is wait and probably review this topic in the future once we have had a chance to get our feet wet with some of the action

Personally the core right now is too over bloated with unnecessary code and has become nearly impossible to work with even in a sub project like radiology

1 Like