Needs assessment for an educational LibreHealth EHR

Ok. Let me know what you decide as I am ready to pay for the work that Kevin is doing. I have a short contract form, solely so I can say this is a business expense for InformaticsEducation.org, the entity related to my textbook

Iā€™m not sure the extra layer of passing the funds through the LibreHealth organization necessarily makes sense in this case. Iā€™m not in a huge rush to get paid, though, so if it helps for establishing precedence for future projects I can be patient.

1 Like

Iā€™m prepared to pay now but want Tony to bless it as originally the payment was supposed to go through the Software Conservancy. Iā€™m going to go ahead and create a short contract for services by you but wait on Tony.

Selfishly, I would love to have something to demo in June at the InSpire conference if that would be possible so getting a prototype up and running would be great, unless I am unrealistic. The InSpire conference is for informatics instructors and since there will now be a panel on educational EHRs, the timing is really good for this initiative.

Weā€™ll definitely be ready for a June demo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kevinā€”Iā€™m almost done with the contract. What is your professional address and/or home address for the agreement?

Sent you a private message with my address.

@rhoyt did the panel get accepted?

To the best of my knowledge the panel was accepted. I probably should email someone on the program committee to confirm as Harold is ā€œout of pocketā€. I have suggested that the panel include anyone who is currently working to create an educational/research EHR

I found the email from Harold Lehmann and is as follows:

We have been approved for a panel at inSpire. Unfortunately, I have to hand in details like today.

Hereā€™s what I have so far:

ā€œEducational uses of the production EHR: Unmet needsā€

Panel discussion

Objectives:

1. Differentiate educational possibilities (student through attending) for educational EHRs vs production EHRs
  2. Articulate missing functions, and therefore needs, for both, with a focus on the production EHRs
  3. Identify strategies and tactics for providing a unified voice to the vendor community

Description: We are now in the age of the EHR as the platform for just about all medically-related activities. The EHR was designed for billing and clinical care; population health and research have been added over the past few years. There are zero functionalities in the production EHR for new and ongoing medical education of users (except info buttons, perhaps). For instance, decision support has been shown to confer no educational transfer. One side effect is that most institutions have to create an educational version of their EHR, hand crafting all the functions required to do so.

The goal of this panel is for us to come up with a number of functions that are not currently supported but that we think would further the educational mission of training programs and CME at multiple levels. The speakers will raise features they have thought of, but the core of the session will be brainstorming on two fronts: What are new functions (and perhaps their priority), and how should we garner support (and consensus?) from the larger academic community, to provide vendors with our needs.

It looks like Josette Jones (IUPUI) and I will present information about non-production EHRs for education. We wonā€™t have much time to present but enough to at least let people know what we are doing.

Once again, I am asking the steering committee when we can have access to the web site in order to create the content needed for the Educational Project. We have a draft of the mission and vision statement and I think there are several other areas we can discuss, such as access to SQL dump files and CSV files for those who might want to data mine data in the EHR. It is my plan to post some teaching scenarios there. Who is the webmaster?

1 Like

Thats pretty good ā€¦ Maybe @sunbiz can ask Josette to put in a plug for what we are doingā€¦ @r0bby who is in charge of the website ā€¦

1 Like

I can probably answer this question too. @rhoyt we have no webmaster as such. The website is generated from the code that is posted to this repository - LibreHealth / Steering Committee / librehealth.io Ā· GitLab. The files are simply text files that are built using a tool called Hugo and then get deployed automatically to the website. A file called education.md needs to be created here - content/teams Ā· master Ā· LibreHealth / Steering Committee / librehealth.io Ā· GitLab

I am probably better at writing the content than creating web pages with Hugo. I have started an About Us page, in addition to the Mission and Vision statement. I would like a third page on educational specifics