Google Summer of Code 2020 Weekly Feedback

We are going to try something new. This is in addition to your blog post. The goal is to catch if you are behind in your timeline early.

@gsoc2020students:

Answer the following questions in a once-weekly post on Fridays:

• What progress have you made this week?
  • What do I plan to do next week?
  • Have you had any blockers or issues that are impeding your project?

The point of these are to catch any issues you are having and to handle them early.

Any questions can be directed towards @judywawira, @sunbiz, or myself.

3 Likes

What progress have you made this week?

During this first week of community bonding from May 4 to May 8, I have discussed with my mentors @sunbiz @r0bby about what API to use for fetching nearby Hospitals. I will use OpenStreetMaps Overpass API.

I have read its documentation carefully to fetch nearby hospitals

I have also read documentation for Scrapy .(Scrapy is a free and open-source web-crawling framework written in Python).I will use it for scrapping hospitals CDM.

What do I plan to do next week?

In the coming week of community bonding I will make a detailed Plan (week by week) for the coding period beginning on June 1 & will share with my mentors.

I will discuss with my mentors if I have any doubt

Have you had any blockers or issues that are impeding your project?

Not yet, but I may have college End Semester Exams in July if Lockdown ends due to COVID-19.If that happens I will put extra hours after exams & will definitely complete this project.

1 Like

In this first week of Community Bonding, I was informed by my mentors of a slight change in my project title. I have started reading about Quantization of models. I have understood the various methods of Quantization and Pruning and I am currently reading about the various ways that this can be implemented in code.

1. Try to implement a few sample quantization methods.

2. Communicate with my mentors and understand the final requirements of the project.

3. Discuss and set up a weekly plan of action.

No blockers yet. I am waiting for instructions from my mentors. My university is planning to conduct examinations in the month of July. Taking this into consideration, I will plan my Coding period.

1 Like

In the first week of the community bonding (May 4 - May 8), I had a video conference call with the mentors @iainbarclay @Maria-Freytsis and discussed in brief regarding the project. I had started going through hyperledger-indy SDK which the Evernym uses underneath as I did not have access to the Evernym’s mobile SDK.

• Communicate with Evernym team on integrating the SDK with the Flutter app

• Discuss with the mentors about the choice of the stack to build the app(Flutter vs ReactNative or Native Android)

Yes. The only hurdle is that integrating SDK with Flutter is very ambitious and we are open to other alternatives if that doesn’t work out.

2 Likes

"4-may-2020 to 8-may-2020"

[ Progress ]

Setup my development environment.

[ Plan for next week ]

1. Get reinforcement on my plan for summer from my mentors.
  2. Make a fresh GitHub repository and setup the basic project shell for development.
  3. Read up about deploying ml models.

[ Blockers ]

N/A

1 Like

This week’s progress (05/04 - 05/08)

1. Informed my mentors about being selected
  2. Read up the related 2018 and 2019 GSOC project
  3. Read up the documentation about the FHIR resources of interest
  4. Broke down components of interest into subcomponents

Next week Plan (05/11 - 05/15)

1. Start creating mockups for the components
1 Like

In the second week of the community bonding (May 9 - May 15), I have access to the mobile SDK of Evernym now. I went through the wiki and one of their sample projects and recreated it in my local system. It was a native android project, and I am yet to test it on Flutter. Also, I have been working on finding a way for the Flutter app to communicate with the respective native Android or iOS code.

• @maria has shared a report on birth registration. I would be going through that, making points, and would discuss it in the next video call.
  • Discuss with @iainbarclay and Evernym team regarding the SDK and it’s use cases in our project.

None as of now.

1 Like

Week 2 : Community Bonding

In this week I have :

• Forked the lh-radiology-mobile-modules repo and built the docker image from the given Dockerfile and ran it successfully.
  • Emulated Raspberry Pi from Qemu on my local machine as well as inside a docker container.
  • Read papers that @pri2si17 asked me to look into. I am currently reading papers mentioned by @ATariq

• Generate a comprehensive understanding of the datasets and the models mentioned by @ATariq.
  • Finalize methods to measure model latency, memory consumption and power consumption.

No issues. Being new to Qemu and Docker, I did face quite a few errors but I was able to tackle them successfully.

During this second week of community bonding from May 8 to May 15, I have read documentation of flutter packages which I will use to display Maps such as flutter_map & other packages to plot marker on map using Overpass API.

I have discussed with my mentors about how I will scrap Hospitals Data Statewise.

In the next week , I will give my mentors Detailed project plan for my coding period.

Analyze Hospitals CDM data to scrap & discuss it with Mentors.

Reading documentation for flutter sqflite package to store data in SQL Database in App.

No

"9-may-2020 to 15-may-2020"

[ Progress ]

1. Forked the “lh-radiology-semi-automatic-image-annotator” and added basic django app with user authentications.
  2. Read up “Deep Neural Networks Improve Radiologists’ Performance in Breast Cancer Screening”, went through their github repo, forked it and I’m currently working on porting their model from tf 1.13 to the new tf 2.1.

[ Plan for the next week ]

1. Talk to my mentors a little more.
  2. Port to tf 2.1 and if possible contribute it to their repo and of course use it in our own project.

[ Blockers ]

N/A

This week’s progress (05/11 - 05/15)

1. Created mockups for the components (Observation, Medication, MedicationRequest and MedicationStatement)
  2. Following my mentor @sunbiz guidance, I explored some UX design softwares to be used for the EHR UX design. I decided to go with adobe Xd.

Next week’s Plan (05/18 - 05/22)

1. Explore the functionality of the adobe Xd for UX design.
  2. Create a UX prototype for the EHR that highlights the needed web components.
  3. Post my first blog .

Week 3 : Community Bonding

1. Prepared dockerfile for MR.
  2. Implemented sample quantization and pruning methods.
  3. Prepared my system for the project by installing all the required packages.
  4. Finalized model performance methods and packages for it.
  5. Read about Knowledge Distillation and it’s related papers.

1. Finalize datasets, models and compression methods to implement after discussing with my mentors.
  2. Finalize the system architecture and the plan of implementation.

NA.

During this third week of community bonding from May 16 to May 22, I have learned about CI (Continuous Integration ) Pipeline which I will use in GitLab to update CDM of hospitals weekly.

I have forked the repo from GitLab of both Flutter App & Scraper

I have scrapped data of few hospitals & tried to use CI Pipeline to update them & the pipeline is working correctly.

I have searched the web for US govt data which contain all hospitals of state. I got New York & California Hospitals CDM ,for rest of state I manually have to save links.

I will give my mentors Detailed project plan with Milestones for my coding period.

Analyze data of hospitals & reading documentation for flutter Sqflite package

No

In the third week of the community bonding (May 16 - May 22), I understood the code present in the sample of the SDK, how the Evernym’s library is integrated in the Android app. I read the articles and the user stories which @Maria-Freytsis had put on the forum, to better understand the need of the project.

• To completely go through the SDK wiki and test the sample app with the test server provided.
  • Discuss with the mentors regarding design of the app.

None as of now.

"16-may-2020 to 22-may-2020"

[ Progress ]

1. Made the new architecture for the backend to suit the new requirements.
  2. Implemented the bounding box component in reactjs.(Without any third party libraries)

[ Plan for the next week ]

1. Complete the skeleton version of the UI. (will not look pretty)

[Blockers]

N/A

This week’s progress (05/18 - 05/22)

1. Changed of plans based on interaction with my mentor. A UX designer will be brought on board to design the user interface.
  2. Interacted with the UX designer for an appropriate design for the EHR user interface
  3. Read more about EHR and FHIR resources.

Next week’s Plan (05/25 - 05/29)

1. Refresh my skills on components creation with polymer 3
  2. Set up the enviroment for start of coding session.
  3. Post a blog.

This week I found CMS Data of 3000 Hospitals both inpatient & outpatient , I am searching for more datasets available by states & I have found it for California, New York, Indiana.

I have given my mentors a detailed project plan with milestones & I will discuss it maybe tomorrow via call.

I will start making App UI with dummy data in next two weeks as suggested by @muarachmann , I will also scrap Hospitals CDM of California State next week.

No

In the fourth week of the community bonding (May 23 - May 29), I tried to communicate the sample app with the test server. I added the code to scan a QR code and make a connection with the test server and it was successful. I also tried looking into UI/UX design guidelines, to prepare a good UI for the current project.

The successful connection with the test server was done using native Android app written in Java. I am still trying to get that working in Flutter and have spent quite a bit of time working on that and is not successful so far.

• I will go through the spreadsheet, that @Maria-Freytsis has shared.
  • Come up with a plan with milestones and discuss with the mentors regarding that.
  • Look into app store for some inspiration for the UI and propose a UI for the app.

The linking of the Evernym SDK with the mobile app is time consuming as of now, with not much resource. So that’s the only issues which I’m facing.

1 Like

Week 4 : Community Bonding

1. Finalized datasets, models, compression methods and system architecture.
  2. Created my first MR in the repo.

1. Perform EDA on the dataset and begin training.
  2. Look into Ultrasound datasets and papers.

The process of integration of the Flask app inside the Raspberry Pi is challenging and needs to be more defined. Either it will be possible or the system architecture would have to be modified.

"23-may-2020 to 29-may-2020"

[ Progress ]

1. Completed the bounding box component part of the UI.
  2. Integrated Reaact MUI library with my CRA.
  3. Decided the palette.

[ Plan before June Starts ]

1. Clean my frontend code.
  2. Start with training the model.
  3. Read about model versioning and minibatching with tensorflow-serving.

[Blockers]

N/A